Saturday, March 22, 2003

The Speaking Tree...
The Most Beautiful Flower

The park bench was deserted as I sat down to read, Beneath the long,
straggly branches of an old willow tree. Disillusioned by life with good
reason to frown, For the world was intent on dragging me down. And if that
were'nt enough to ruin my day, A young boy approached me, all tired from
play. He stood right before me with his head tilted down, And said with
great excitement, "Look what I found!"

In his hand was a flower, and what a pitful sight, with its petals all worn
down - not enough rain, or too little light, Wanting him to take his dead
flower and go off to play, I faked a smile and then shifted away. But
instead of retreating he sat next to my side, And placed the flower to his
nose and declared with overacted surprise, "It smells pretty and it's
beautifull too. That's why I picked it ; here its's for you!"

The weed before me was dying or dead. Not vibrant of colours, orange, yellow
or red. But I knew I must take it, or he might never leave. So I reached for
the flower and replied, "Just what I need."

But instead of him placing the flower in my hand, He held it mid-air without
reason or plan. It was then that I noticed for the very first time,That the
weed-toting boy could not see, He was blind. I heard my voice quiver, tears
shone like the sun, As I thanked himfor picking the very best one. "You're
welcome" he smiled and then ran off to play, I sat there and wondered how he
managed to see, A self-pitying woman beneath an old willow tree.

How did he know about my self-indulged plight? Perhaps from his heart he'd
been blessed with true sight. Through the eyes of a blind child, at last I
could see, The problem was not with the world: the problem was me. And for
all of those time I myself had been blind, I vowed to see the beauty in
life, and appreciate very second that's mine. And then I held that wilted
flower up to my nose and breathed in the fragrance of a beautiful rose. And
iI smiled as I watched that young boy, another weed in his hand, About to
change the life of an unsuspecting old man.

No comments: